GUYS! I’m so excited. This ricotta and Parmesan stuffed eggplant has me feeling like a PROFESH CHEF. And you’ll probably feel like one too when you recreate this at home. THE CHEESE. So much cheese. And low carb AND so many veggies – roasted and toasted – ANNNDD! So incredibly delish. The homemade red sauce really takes this old gal over the top.
This week’s veggies were provided in my Hen House CSA bag. Eggplants, tomatoes, and green peppers.
The tomatoes were roasted with sweet onion, green pepper, and garlic and blended to make a red sauce that was absolute DREAAAMMM.
The eggplants were thinly sliced and roasted then stuffed with a seasoned ricotta and Parmesan filling.
All of the beauty came together in a pan and was popped into the oven, topped with red sauce and fresh mozzarella and baked until bubbly and done.
Serve it with warm crusty bread or eat it plain. ENJOY!!
- 2 eggplants, thinly sliced and halved
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1 green pepper, de-seeded + sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 sweet onion, sliced
- 1 container ricotta
- 1 cup Parmesan
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella
- 1 tbsp fresh, roughly chopped (plus more for garnish)
- 1 tsp garlic powder (1/2 tsp for filling and 1/2 tsp for sauce)
- 1 tsp dried basil (1/2 tsp for filling and 1/2 tsp for sauce)
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- Kosher salt to taste
- Olive oil to preference
Preheat oven to 450 F
- Line tomatoes, green peppers, onion and garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and season with kosher salt. Bake in oven for 20 minutes.
- While tomatoes, etc. are roasting slice eggplants and line on 2 baking sheets. Drizzle with olive oil and kosher salt. Once tomatoes, green peps, and onions are done roasting – roast eggplant in oven for 10 minutes.
- Put tomato, green peppers, onion, and garlic in food processor (or blender) and add salt, 1/2 tsp basil, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, parsley sprig, 1/4 tsp oregano. Blend.
- For cheese mixture: in a bowl, combine ricotta, Parmesan, garlic powder, parsley, basil, and salt.
- In a 9×13 baking dish, spread a thin layer of tomato sauce on the bottom.
- Once eggplant is done roasting, turn oven to 350 F. In an assembly, spread ricotta mixture onto eggplant strips and roll into a pinwheel – placing each wheel into the 9×13 dish with marinara. Repeat the process until complete. Top the eggplant wheels with remaining marinara. Place sliced mozzarella on top and bake for 20 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve and enjoy immediately.