The theme of this month is, “I have too much produce because I went to Aldi and went hog wild on their bulk items and now I don’t know what to do with it and I hate waste so I need to use it no matter what.”
You got that?
While at Aldi, I needed “A” as in ONE jalapeno pepper, but they were selling them in bulk by the bag for about ~$1 so I thought, “Ok, I’ll definitely put these to use”. A week later, I still hadn’t used them and when that happens, I begin to get this creeping anxiety within me – like a flipped hourglass – and I have a countdown to use my produce before it goes bad and I’m a ….. WASTER.
Anyhow, while I was on a jog I began fantasizing all of the fun things I could do with a bunch of peppers, as a normal person does.
Jalapeno Poppers? Good, but Nah.
Pickled Peppers? OH YES.
DING DING DING. Pickled peppers. Duh.
I go through about a jar of pickled jalapenos a month. They are a fridge staple for me. Upon that notion I picked up my jog to a high sprint and ran to my neighborhood grocery store. The only ingredient I was missing was the vinegar. Thanks to modern technology I paid using my phone and off I went to pickle me some peps.
I set up my pickling station: 2 mason jars, vinegar, about a dozen jalapenos, sea salt and garlic. I sliced the jalapenos into “rings” and placed them in the jars. I left the seeds intact to keep the pickled peppers extra spicy. After that, I placed a clove of peeled garlic in each jar and sprinkled a ½ tablespoon of sea salt in each mason jar.
I poured the vinegar and water into a sauce pan and turned to medium-high heat and brought it to a simmer, careful not to boil the mixture. I poured the simmered vinegar and water over the jalapeno / garlic / salt situation and twisted on the mason jar lid.
I then filled the sauce pan with water and brought to a boil. I placed each jar of jalapenos into the hot water bath separately for 10 minutes to seal the lids.
These were incredibly easy to make and I felt this strange sense of pride and accomplishment when they looked just like the store-bought jalapenos I have in my fridge, but better. I have a feeling I will be pickling many more things in my future – it feels like you’re cheating the system, and I like it.
What You Need:
- 12 jalapeno peppers
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 16oz mason jars or 1 32oz (with metal lids to seal if you don’t plan to eat immediately)
- Slice jalapeno peppers into “rings”
- Place peppers into mason jars
- Add a clove of peeled garlic into each jar and top each jar with a ½-1 TBSP of sea salt (depending on how salty you like it)
- Pour the 1 cup vinegar and 1 cup water into a sauce pan and bring to a simmer, do not boil!
- Pour vinegar and water mixture into mason jars with peppers and seal with metal lid
- Fill sauce pan with water (about half way, depending on how big) and bring to a boil. Place each mason jar separately in the boiling bath for 10 minutes to seal for storing.
Enjoy that spicy delicious creation you bad mamajamma, you!