Summer is the best time to use fresh fruit and herbs to your advantage. The price is right for in-season fruits and the flavors are unmatched compared to other times of the year. I dusted off the ol’ bartending skills and put together these Strawberry Basil Sparklers , guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser for any summer event – or muddle one up for yourself while you sit with your dog – who am I to judge?
- 1.5 oz of vodka (I used KC local J. Rieger & Co. vodka)
- 1 tablespoon of sugar (I used raw cane sugar)
- 3 medium strawberries – hulled + quartered
- 2 large basil leaves, roughly chopped
- Sparkling water
- In a high-ball glass (short cocktail glass), place the strawberries, basil, and sugar – muddle until strawberries are completely pulverized and sugar is no longer granular;
- Fill glass to the brim with ice over the muddled mixture;
- Pour vodka over the top of the ice and muddled mixture, use a larger cup to shake or transfer mixture into a shaker – shake 7 times (don’t ask me why it’s 7, it just feels right, ok?);
- Top with sparkling water;
- Garnish with strawberry + basil;
- Enjoy immediately!
Food Gal Al